Living with a crooked smile or having issues with your bite can interfere with your sense of well-being and health. Although braces have always been an option to assist with these dental issues, many patients hesitate to ask about them because they are more worried about their appearance than they are about the result. However, the introduction of Invisalign has opened a new method for orthodontic treatment without the common concerns associated with traditional metal braces. This innovative treatment uses clear plastic trays to slowly ease teeth into their ideal position. The system is not only virtually invisible but also comes with many other benefits that patients love. Here, we will discuss why Invisalign patients in Mississauga choose the aligners over braces.
Overview of Invisalign Benefits
First, here’s a quick overview of why Invisalign is better than traditional braces:
- They are more comfortable
- They require fewer dental visits
- They are virtually invisible
- They are removable
- They are easy to care for
- They often get results sooner
- They do not interfere with your dental health and oral hygiene
The Comfortable Option
Invisalign consists of removable plastic aligners that fit comfortably in your mouth. They are smooth and do not involve the wires and metal clasps of traditional braces. This means you are free of cuts and lacerations that can sometimes occur with metal braces. As well, adjustments for traditional braces tend to be painful. With your aligners, you can replace your new trays at bedtime, take a mild painkiller to manage discomfort, and wake to find that the discomfort is gone or minor.
The reason Invisalign is so popular is that the aligners are virtually invisible. Unlike metal braces, they consist of clear plastic trays that are almost impossible to detect. As a result, patients maintain their confidence and can smile without the worry of showing their braces.
Latest in Technology
Invisalign technology allows our office to prepare your aligners quickly. We take images that are used to prepare a plan, and software that constructs the aligners based on the current position of your teeth and their ideal position.
Addresses Many Issues
We can use Invisalign to address a growing range of issues, including:
- Crooked teeth
- Some gaps in teeth
- Open bite
- Some crowded teeth
Less Dental Appointments
Unlike metal braces that require adjustments at our office, Invisalign requires fewer follow-up visits. This is because you change your aligners every few weeks without the need for dental appointments.
Fewer Side Effects
Traditional braces can cause more side effects than Invisalign, including:
- Pain and discomfort
- Mouth sores
- Injuries such as cuts and lacerations
- Poor dental hygiene, which can lead to tooth decay
- Plaque buildup
- Tooth discolouration
- Tooth breakage
- Bracket breakage
- Difficulty eating
- Inability to enjoy your favourite foods
Healthier Teeth and Gums
Because your aligners are removable, you can perform your regular hygiene regime to avoid oral health issues. Traditional braces make it difficult to brush effectively, which can increase the risk of plaque buildup, decay, and gum problems.
Eating with traditional braces can be embarrassing, as it is easy to get food caught in the metal. Invisalign aligners are removed when you eat, which means you avoid embarrassment and enjoy all your favourite foods. Because of the risks associated with many foods, such as apples, corn on the cob, hard or sticky candy, and popcorn, you must avoid them when wearing traditional braces.
More Confidence for Physical Activity
People with braces can feel less confident playing sports or participating in their favourite activities because of their fear of acquiring a serious injury. Braces can easily cause tears and lacerations when you are knocked in the face, even without great force. With your aligners, you are at less risk of such injuries, so you can play with confidence and perform your personal best. Just remember, aligners are not mouthguards. If needed, we can provide a customized mouthguard you can wear when participating in sports.
Removable for Special Occasions
Although you must wear your aligners for at least 20 hours a day to see the best results, when a special occasion pops up, you do have the option to remove them. This can include graduation, prom, class photos, first dates, etc. If you do it only when warranted, you’ll still see optimum results from your treatment.
Getting your Invisalign aligners is far easier than traditional braces. It takes a few easy steps:
- Consultation: As with any major treatment plan, we will discuss your goals and make a good candidate for Invisalign. Then, we will set up your initial appointment.
- Initial appointment: We will take digital scans, photographs, and X-rays to create a model of your mouth and teeth. We send this to the Invisalign laboratory where your custom trays are made.
- Aligner fitting and pick up: We will set up an appointment for you to pick up your trays. At your appointment, we will test for fit and offer instructions and tips on how to use your aligners properly.
- Aligner changes: Every few weeks, you will change your aligner to the next set at home.
- Follow-up: We will set up a follow-up appointment to see how things are progressing, but adjustments are not required.
- Retainer: As with traditional braces, you will still be expected to wear a night retainer to prevent your teeth from falling back into their old position.
As with any treatment, individual results will vary. It is very much dependent on how well you adhere to the 20-hour rule and schedule. We can give you an expected result timeline based on the severity of your case. However, in general, adolescents often can see faster results than adults, as they are still growing.
Invisalign is the best option for people worried about the appearance, pain, or inconvenience of braces. While not all cases will make good candidates for Invisalign, we can help you find the best treatment to improve your smile and bite.