You don’t have to let a gummy smile affect your social interaction. You may be born with it but there are ways to correct it. Gum contouring is a modern dental procedure that improves your smile and guarantees to give you that winsome charm. Luckily, this cosmetic dental treatment uses laser technology for a painless and quick recovery.
Laser gum contouring also treats gum recession. Receding gums may be due to genetics, rough brushing habit or periodontal disease.
This procedure is performed to resolve dental issues such as:
- Gums that make your teeth look long or tiny.
- Gummy smile for aesthetic purposes.
- Uneven gums.
How it’s done
- First, your dentist will take digital X-rays of your teeth to check the condition of the pulp.
- Next, he creates a layout of the gum reshaping and contouring using a special dental pen.
- He administers local anesthesia the patient to numb the area prior to the surgery.
- Then, he will proceed with the sculpting process using a dental laser.
- Finally, the dentist will use abrasive strips to shape, smoothen and polish the teeth.
Now you know why it’s very easy to turn your gummy smile to a picture perfect one with this procedure. It only takes about 20 minutes to be completed.
Gum reshaping after-care
It’s normal to feel a little pain after the gum contouring treatment. Take pain relievers like Advil or Tylenol should you feel some discomfort. Follow your dentist’s advice on the proper brushing method and take a good rest after the treatment. Furthermore, avoid biting on hard and crunchy food for the time being. Stick to a soft diet and have some yogurt, soup, soft vegetables, ice cream, pasta and cottage cheese.
Benefits of laser gum contouring
This cosmetic procedure is becoming popular because of its numerous benefits. These are the advantages of laser gum contouring services in Mississauga:
- There is lesser risk of infection. Your mouth stays clean and sterile during the entire procedure since laser cauterizes the tissue as it reshapes the gums.
- A faster healing time. Laser gum contouring results to faster healing. There’s no need for sutures or stitches unlike traditional gum reshaping.
- Minimal side effects. You experience less discomfort and irritation after a laser gum reduction surgery. There will only be minimal swelling as opposed to the traditional procedure of reshaping of gums.
- Less bleeding. Patients attest through gum contouring reviews that there’s less bleeding. This is among the top reasons why more patients want to have the procedure.
How much does the procedure cost?
The laser gum contouring cost ranges from $300 CAD to $3000 CAD. This will highly depend on your gum condition. Factors that also affect the cost are the type of sedation and the use of supplementary treatment. Moreover, dental insurance covers a fraction of the cost if it’s for a medical and restorative purpose.
Now, it’s time for you to say goodbye to your gummy smile with the gum reshaping procedure. Your periodontist will be glad to discuss the process with you when you visit him today.