It is a dental myth that yellow or stained teeth automatically point to poor oral hygiene and health.
Tooth discolouration is incredibly common for a variety of factors—and not all of them bad. Certain foods and beverages (such as coffee, red wine, and tea) can cause your pearly whites to fade over time. Additionally, ageing and genetics play a part. Smoking, however, often turns teeth into a yellowish hue and is an indicator of poor dental health.
Whatever the reason for your faded smile, you’re not stuck with yellow or stained teeth. Professional teeth whitening methods from your dentist can safely brighten your smile.
If you feel self-conscious about the look of your teeth, talk to your dentist at Bristol Dental Clinic about Zoom teeth whitening. In the meantime, here’s everything you need to know about this procedure.
What is Zoom whitening?
Zoom whitening is a highly effective cosmetic dental procedure that instantly improves the appearance of your smile. Using a light-activated whitening gel, this treatment breaks up stains left behind from beverages, food, tobacco, and ageing. It corrects discolouration of both the enamel and the dentin underneath, leaving you with a visibly brighter and whiter smile in a single appointment.
Zoom Whitening vs. Over-the-Counter Products
First, it’s important to know that in-office whitening procedures offered by your dentist are not the same as take-home whitening kits or over-the-counter products.
The whitening gel used in Zoom treatments uses a higher concentration of bleaching agents, meaning it works faster to provide better results. Your teeth can brighten as many as eight shades in a single, one-hour session.
Professional-strength whitening gels are also formulated to be safer for your teeth. Your enamel won’t be damaged during the whitening process, all thanks to the presence of desensitizers in these products.
Additionally, professional dental offices use a high-quality LED light that whitens your teeth more effectively.
Professional teeth-whitening methods are always safer, more effective, and faster than over-the-counter whitening kits. If you want a brighter smile, talk to your dentist instead of trusting the quick solutions advertised online.
How does Zoom teeth whitening work?
Zoom teeth whitening uses oxidization to disintegrate the molecular bonds of the stains and discolourations on your teeth.
When a UV light shines on the whitening gel, the hydrogen peroxide in the gel begins to break down. As it does so, oxygen enters the tooth enamel and dentin. The stains on your teeth disappear without damaging the tooth structure.
Zoom whitening is a non-invasive and safe procedure that does not require local anaesthesia. You should not feel any pain. Some patients may experience a slight sensitivity and tingling sensation that goes away within 24 hours.
Additionally, Zoom whitening is a short procedure. It only takes 45-60 minutes.
The Zoom Whitening Procedure
Here’s what to expect during your Zoom whitening treatment.
- First, your dentist examines your teeth and performs a thorough cleaning. Plaque and food particles are removed since these can affect the whitening process. Your teeth must be clean for the bleaching gel to successfully penetrate the enamel.
- It’s important to protect your gums and lips during the procedure. A retractor is placed in your mouth, leaving only your teeth exposed. It will keep your mouth wide open throughout the procedure, preventing chemical damage to your lips and gums.
- The hydrogen peroxide whitening gel is applied to your teeth. It is applied in three, 15-minute sessions. After each application, the UV light activates the gel and starts the oxidization process. Your dentist removes the old gel before applying a fresh layer.
The Benefits of Zoom Whitening
- Zoom whitening is extremely effective: It has a higher concentration of active ingredients than at-home kits. It can successfully remove years of stains and discolourations.
- Zoom whitening is safe: Since it is professionally formulated with desensitisers that won’t harm your enamel, Zoom whitening is completely safe. Additionally, it is administered by a trained dental health professional. They understand how to safely brighten your smile, and they’re available to answer any questions you might have.
- Zoom whitening offers faster results: Instead of slowly whitening your teeth over many weeks, you can enjoy a visibly brighter smile immediately after only one session.
How to Keep Your Teeth White After Your Zoom Whitening Procedure
You finally have the bright, white, and stain-free smile of your dreams. But how long will it last? Well, it depends on a number of factors. If you take the necessary steps to care for your teeth and maintain your results, you can enjoy a brighter smile for many years to come. However, neglect to do so, and you may see stains and discolouration return in a few months.
Therefore, it’s vital to keep a rigorous dental hygiene routine. Not only does this help to keep the stains at bay, but it’s also essential for your oral health. Remember to brush twice a day, floss daily, use mouthwash, and visit your dentist regularly.
Ultimately, the habits that stained your teeth in the first place will stain your teeth again. If your teeth are yellowed due to smoking, then continuing to smoke will cause your teeth to yellow again. The same goes for coffee, tea, and red wine consumption. You should reduce or avoid the beverages and foods that tend to discolour teeth.
You can also use a take-home, touch-up kit to help maintain your results. Your dentist can explain how to use it.
Zoom Teeth Whitening in Mississauga
Bristol Dental Clinic provides Zoom teeth-whitening treatments for patients in Mississauga. This is a highly effective, safe, and fast way to visibly improve your smile. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our trained dental professionals.