There’s a common notion that the procedure in placing dental implants hurt. Patients avoid having this treatment since they assume it’s rather complex. On the contrary, this isn’t really the case. The whole treatment may take awhile to complete but pain shouldn’t be the main concern.
What are dental implants?
A dental implant is a surgical component used as replacement for the tooth root. It consists of a screw made of titanium, which is a biocompatible material. Considering this, titanium dental implants are accepted by the body’s soft tissues and initiates fusion. It integrates to the jaw bone through a process known as osseointegration. Once the metal implant and bones fuse together, they provide a strong foundation for the replacement tooth. Furthermore, it is able to support a crown, denture or bridge.
Is the implant surgery pain free?
Patients with dental anxiety need not worry about having dental implants via surgery. Modern dentistry has introduced sedation and now, most dentists have incorporated this in giving treatment like the implant surgery. Thanks to sedation dentistry, going through this dental surgery is to keep you calm and comfortable during the procedure. These include:
- Nitrous oxide or laughing gas
The dentists administer this through a nose apparatus. You will remain conscious throughout the procedure yet you’re still relaxed.
- Oral sedation
Your Ontario dentist will prescribe sedation pills which you’ll take a night before and an hour before the surgery. This type of sedation may make you feel sleepy but you’ll remain conscious and calm throughout the surgery.
- IV sedation
Variations of this kind of sedation includes the twilight IV sedation. You’re still conscious but will not remember much about the surgery. The other type is general anesthesia where you’re unconscious all throughout the procedure.
Types of dental implants
Most dentists recommend titanium dental implants to their patients. It’s also important to note that there are two types of implants.
- Endosteal dental implant is a type where the screws are placed directly into the jawbone.
- Subperiosteal dental implant is a type of tooth implant that’s placed below the gum tissue but on top of the bone.
- Dental implants are becoming popular since they improve your teeth appearance.
- It’s like having a natural tooth. It’s easy for you to eat and not worry about pain or it becoming loose because it’s sturdy.
- Aside from the fact that it functions just like a real tooth, it also requires less maintenance. As opposed to dentures, cleaning your titanium dental implants is as simple as cleaning your natural teeth.
- It improves your oral health since it preserves your facial bone and keeps the rest of the teeth intact.
Now that you have uncovered the truth about the dental implant surgery, your next concern would be the cost. Majority of the dental insurance companies don’t offer coverage for this cosmetic procedure. However, a medical insurance plan covers a fraction of the cost.
You’ll never have to be embarrassed again every time you smile, eat or talk after having implants. Let the dental implant specialist give you the freedom to eat the food you like without limitations. Visit him today to learn more about this painless surgical procedure.